Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Kiss Kiss"

I'm on an art-rampage!

Subject is Lady Nazjar - a random World of Warcraft NPC (instance Boss) that I found fascinating. :)

I had a great time with this picture. It was also a real test to see if I can make a mostly complete portrait under 4 hours. Why is this so important? For me, it's an exercise to think about the WHOLE image from the start. The time constraint is my personal fire to keep the composition in my mind as well as the detail. Plus, after 15 years of on again/off again art-ing, I know that anything over 6 hours starts to burn me out.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and picked up some techniques for next time.

Click for larger view.

The main reason I knew exactly how long it took me is because I recorded the whole thing from start-finish this time. I won't be doing this for EVERY piece I do, but I like to share the process so that other people might learn from my trial and error.


Video speed: 700% - total view time: 31:42 minutes
Actual time spent: 3 hours 40 minutes
Medium: Photoshop
Music: Dieselboy - East Coast Science Vol 1 (Side B)

Great practice in seeing a portrait to complete in under 4 hours! I did not sketch nearly as much as I should have, but I had a pretty solid idea of what I wanted the picture to look like from the get-go.

Enjoy and let me know what you think! Is it fast enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment