Wednesday, October 14, 2009

LehoPachi Commission - Process


Leho & Pachi Commission.

So, to start things off (again!) I'll post up my most recent commission and the process I used:


This is about an hour's worth of work - really sloppy lines, just to get the feel of the scene and get the proportions mostly worked out.

I wasn't sure about the scene so I did most of what ended up being the background in this step, though hid it later on...


 
... to try out a new technique that involved shading the characters on one layer in black and white before applying any color.

This is something that artists Sandara and Genzoman both outline in their respective how-to's on Deviantart.

It was a little akward but enjoyed it.




Here, I've created a new layer in Photoshop, and set it to Multiply to do the color. This was a little different than I was used to, as I typically eyedrop the color as I paint, and you can't really do that on a multiply layer. The color was intended to be flat at this stage, picking up the shades from the bnw layer underneath.

I also warmed up the BnW layer with the color adjustment tool - the black was just too harsh.

It worked out okay, but I think I was a bit heavy on the shading for the color. I think I'd use a different color than black next time and see how that goes.


 
Added in some details, polished up the color on a new (normal) layer, and called it a day.

Total time spent: ~6 hours. 
Size: 11" x 14"

That's it this time! I'll be breaking it out more in my next pieces for the purpose of this blog. These screenies were mostly taken for the commission progress updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment